Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Colonel and Elzina



Ada's parents The Colonel and Elzina Jennings
 


These are the things I remember about Grandmother Ada's parents...they were from Virginia and moved to Raleigh County where The Colonel was the Postmaster and delivered mail on horseback.  I believe it's safe to say that Elzina was a stay-at-home mom burping out babies galore...a family of 12 siblings!  Can you imagine delivering mail on horseback in the mountains in the wintertime!  There are some tough genes in our family, no doubt.  We've got some staying power, some substance and thank goodness my kids look like the Cumbo's!  Although my Grandmother was a beauty and her brother Arthur the Photographer was a pretty boy.  Uncle Cam looks a lot like my Grandmother and her brother.  As you have probably already concluded... Mother Zina was named after her Grandmother Elzina...Elzina sounds German to me, however, Jennings is an English or Irish name. Someday, I'd like to research the history of the Jennings a little further.  And someday, I will.

So...there ya go...we are an ancestory blend of Italian(Cumbo),French(Clarke),German(Coffman), and Irish/English(Jennings). 

No comments:

Post a Comment