Saturday, November 16, 2013

In the Meantime

Zina, Virginia and Cam

In the meantime, while I research the Coffman side a little more, I'd like to pay honor to my memory of Zina's siblings.

Momma's siblings were special.  They were all so close being that their Daddy died when they were youngsters and their success in making it through the tough times was tied to the love and respect they shared for eachother.

Cam was the oldest and became a Civil Engineer...taking after his own Father's career as a Coal Mine Inspector and Real Estate Appraisor that included inspecting the land in the Appalachian Mountain area.  Uncle Cam (to me) married a young lady by the name of Sylvia and had three children who I saw once or twice a year.  Cam worked for the State of West Virginia as a Civil Engineer so he moved to a small area not too far from the Capitol Building located in Charleston called Dunbar, WV.  Momma and I would stop by sometimes on our way to see Grandma Ada which was a half way point in our 2 and 1/2 hour trip to Beckley, WV from Ashland, KY. '
I will share photos of Uncle Cam's kids later in the blog entry devoted to "Cousins".
  








Cam, Ada, Virginia and Zina 1960ish
 
 
 
 
Uncle Cam in later years
 
 
 
 Uncle Cam and wife, Sylvia


 
 
 
 Virginia as a toddler...look at her Asian eyes
 
 
 
Aunt Gin-Gee was one of the quietest kindest young ladies I've ever known.  She smiled alot and and was quite feminine.  Her frame was very thin and petite and I remember her being cold alot so she always wore a sweater.
 
 
 



 
Aunt Gin Gee never married although she was engaged earlier in life.  I'm not quite sure what happened in that relationship but I remember it being a subject we never discussed.  She had a locket from her love and a few other items I now have.  Love can be timeless and never forgotten when it's special and ends too quickly.



 
Aunt Gin Gee stayed closed to her Mother and lived with Ada until Gin Gee died at the young age of 48.  I remember the story of Grandma finding Gin Gee climbing on the kitchen table and being very confused.  Test results came back that showed "water on the brain", not sure what it actually means and need to research...I will have to make it a point to call my oldest cousin on the Coffman side...Charlie will know.


 Aunt Gin Gee's car...she drove us all around and remember, Ada never had her driver's license so Gin Gee was a big help to her Mother. 
Me and my Sweet Aunt Gin Gee

I remember going to the hardware store to purchase a miniature Barbie with the "green stamps" Gin Gee collected for me.  She asked me if I was ready to go for a drive and we all loaded up and drove downtown to the little store where my little Barbie lay waiting.  When we came back home to Grandma's, I remember taking napkins and pretending they were sheets for Barbie's bed.  It's a good memory to have because I rarely got to choose the very toy I liked or dreamed about.  Those choices were made for me by my Mother, based on what we could affort at the moment.  Times were a little slim for us back in KY so it was a nice time everytime we came to visit our home away from home in Beckley.





At Ada's front door once again...coming or going.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment