Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Giving Tree

 
The Giving Tree, a book written by Shel Silverstein and a favorite read weekly to my boys at bedtime during their childhood.  I have a signed copy tucked away for when they want to read again as young men today.
 
A Giving Tree...a Pear Tree growing in our own backyard with ripened rewards waiting for little hands to come pick.  Our Grandson, Jasper just had to find a way to knock down a few during his last visit.  His determination brought him a bounty of fresh & delicious pears for his trip home with a little help from his Nona lifting him up to the nearest branch. 
 
One night, as I slowly drifted off to sleep enjoying the image of Jasper under our Pear Tree, another image in another backyard quickly came to mind...one taken many years ago on a day filled with the chilly air of Autumn in the mountains of West Virginia. 
 

 
I can still smell the crisp Autumn air in my Grandmother's backyard.  The Apple and Walnut trees gave us an aroma of what was to come...fresh applesauce canned for the Winter and fresh cracked black walnuts that were added to the banana walnut bread I can still smell.



If I could, I would like to have just one more picnic on the patio.. a small area where our gatherings took place many times a year.  The painted metal chairs were exchanged for a redwood stained picnic table and a couple of foldout chairs.  We just had to have a place to put the "Sun Tea" my Dad enjoyed making for our gatherings.  We'll have a celebration on a grander scale someday when we all see eachother again in an even better place.

 
I remember eating soooo many apples, my tummy hurt!  Everyone warned me but I did it anyway...craving the juicy tartness sprinkled with salt when the apples were still green.
 
My Sister, Jeanine, was 8 years older than me and probably not as impressed with the new delight I had discovered in our Grandmother's backyard.  Nonetheless, her presence was always welcomed in my mind...she was my big Sister!
 
What's one of your favorite tastes from your childhood?  Something sweet? Something tart?  Something made from the heart?  Something from your own backyard?

No comments:

Post a Comment