Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Few More Family Names from the Great-Greats....

I found my baby book today that included a family tree handwritten in my Mother, Zina's handwriting.  It's pastel pink with the title, "Baby's Memoir".
How sweet to find this at this time...Mother's always seem to know what and when we need things to help us along.  Thank you, Momma!

On the Cumbo side, we begin with the Great-Great Grandfather, Sam Cumbo who married Rosalie Cumbo then had a son, Anthony Cumbo who married Nellie Cumbo who had a son, James Anthony Cumbo who joined with Nell Clarke and had a son Tony Edward Cumbo.  I have also seen my Grandfather's name as Joseph instead of James in different places.  They called him "Jake" for short.

I now wish I knew more about my Grandmother Nell Clarke.  I remember her as being a waitress in a diner located in Parkersburg, WV.  She was close to a niece there but I do not know her name.  Little Tony had some facial characteristics similar to his Mother like his smile and shape of lips but he mostly looked like the Cumbo's.  Nell was a smoker and when she came to visit, she would cough alot.  I remember this and also remember asking her why she smoked and to please stop so she would not be sick anymore.  I was about 5 or 6 years old then.  She passed shortly after her last visit and I remember seeing my Dad cry for the first time.  He then traveled to Parkersburg by himself for her funeral.  The family gave him a TV that they saved for him from her apartment.  She lived a simple life .

I will always appreciate the time I did have with her.  I remember her calling from time to time and a wonderful babydoll she mailed to me for my birthday.  I also remember one visit she made to Beckley at Eastertime  She stayed at Grandma Ada's home with us for the holiday and we had a big dinner, dressed up in our Easter outfits (mine was a butter yellow dress), went to Church and took a bunch of photos out in the front yard of Grandma Ada's home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment