Saturday, August 31, 2013

As the Story Goes...Little Tony Grows.

As the story goes, little Tony grows up in the midst of being shuffled around afterall.  After Uncle Angelo and Aunt Tillie began having children of their own, they had to make a better living and decided to move to Chicago to join the rest of the Italian family.  Tony's father Jake and wife Mary came to the rescue and welcomed the young son into their home.  This was the first time that son and father had lived in the same home since Tony was a baby.

My Father never spoke of this period of time in his childhood.  I believe it was a hard adjustment on him.  In later years, I did hear a troubling story from my Mother that Jake and Mary used to send little Tony to the shed outside for punishment...after a spanking or two.  I can only imagine it and don't like to think about it.  I cannot imagine my sweet Father being a bad boy or being the cause of anyone losing their patience.  So, I try not to think about it.  I do remember Mary Cumbo always being very nice to me although I've heard from others that she had a temper. She was quite lovely to look at and reminded me of glamorous movie starlet even though she always had darkened circles under her eyes.  Her cheekbones were high and her smile was really beautiful.  She was an Italian beauty in many ways and she and Papaw Jake shared many years together.

Mary, Papaw Jake and Aunt Clara "Tootsie" are featured here in this photo with Mom and Dad on their Wedding Day on September 9, 1950, Beckley, WV.


Papaw Jake was very proud of his son and always enjoyed it when he played his accordian.  In later years, my Father would play the hymn "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" in memory and honor of a special place and time with his Father, Jake.  He would recall the story that took place while standing in front of a jukebox in a little diner in Beckley, WV.  Dad was there eating dinner and in walks Jake.  Jake visits with Dad for a little while and asks his son to come up to the jukebox with him.  He is looking for the hymn "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" and Dad helps him find it, places the coins in the slot and pushes the button to select this special song.  As it plays, Jake tells Dad that this is his favorite song and wants him to remember it as one to play when he is performing for others at events.  My Dad did play it from time to time as he replayed this fond memory in his mind of a special moment in a small diner in a small town standing beside his Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment