Friday, August 9, 2013



The Cumbo Clan at Aunt Tootsie's Pub in Beckley, WV with Jake front left, Clara "Tootsie" beside him, Sam Alfonzo and Rosie standing, Mary (Jake's 2nd wife) and the unknown friend.

I do not remember Aunt Tootsie's husband but I do remember Pub they owned.  Aunt Tootsie prepared all of the meals there and her customers were loyal.  It was close to a factory that had some hungry workers that were regulars.  I remember she had the best grape soda and best grape bubblegum balls ever!

Aunt Tootsie used to invite us over for Spaghetti, Salad, Garlic Bread and Watermelon.  It was a lot of fun especially in the summer months when we could play out in the yard.  "We" being my sister, Jeanine and brother, Chip.  We would play batmitten and just hang out.  Ofcourse, I was 8 years younger than my sister and 11 years younger than my brother so I mainly just tagged along.  When it came time to leave, Tootsie always gave the best hugs...with a pat and a pinch on my check.  It would hurt a little but I recognized it as her "love pat"...she was consistant, let me tell you!  My little check would stay pink for hours!

Tootsie eventually moved to Chicago and was close to her brother Angelo and his first child Jobe.  She passed in the 1970's and remember her always sending birthday cards to me.  I remember the good times with her when I was a child and did not know her in later years when she became very stubborn as the story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment