Thursday, August 8, 2013


The Cumbo Clan...Bootleggers, Coal Miners and down-right dapper Italian fellas.

My Grandpa Jake is standing on the left end next to my Uncle Angelo who is much shorter. Jake was a dapper man with his thick wavy black hair slicked back.  His stylish attire lent itself to the cigar he is holding in this photo.  As I remember, he always had a cigar in his hand and smelled like fresh tobacco.  He also always carried a little bottle in his jacket pocket...it looked milky but smelled of licorice.  Something to "sip" on throughout the day. I was only 4 years old when I sat on his lap for the last time and to this day remember all of these smells.   Grandpa Jake didn't come around often but when he did was so gentle and kind and always promised to bring me a Teddy Bear on his next visit.  I remember waiting for him and always hoping he would knock on our door with Teddy Bear in hand.  Well, it never happened but I know he loved me because I felt it and his heart was in the right place when he made his promises. I keep a few Teddy Bears with sweet faces around for my grandkids to play with...just a little reminder of Grandpa Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment